Apalachicola Traders Canoe
The Apalachicola Traders Canoe can be observed at the Apalachicola Center for History, Culture & Art and is a great example of true, Apalachicola history. One of many history museums in Apalachicola, HCA is delighted to be the only Apalachicola history museum to house an artifact of its kind.
In May of 2006, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission reported that Curtis Monroe, a logger from Eastpoint, Florida had recovered a dugout canoe from the Apalachicola River measuring 52 feet in length.
Marks on the boat indicate it was made using metal tools and the shape suggested that it had been a trading canoe, in use sometime between 1750 and 1800. Carbon dating has now corroborated these dates. Its length is the longest on record in Florida.
Dugout canoes represent an ancient Native American technology that was adapted and modified to meet the needs of the Spanish, British and Americans who occupied Florida. There are over 300 canoes documented in the files of the Florida Bureau of Archaeological research.
Thanks to the following organizations and groups for making this discovery and exhibition possible: Florida Bureau of Archaeological Research, Department of State General Counsel, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Franklin County Sheriff’s Office, Board of County Commissioners, Tate’s Hell State Forest staff, City of Apalachicola, Franklin County Tourist Development Council.