Current HCA Events & Exhibits
by Rae Ruff
JUNE 5-JULY 3, 2021
OPENING RECEPTION SATURDAY, JUNE 5 AT 6PM
My re-awakening of painting vivid abstracts created through synesthesia, in the form of visualizing colors through the vibrations of music and then painting that
which I see. I cannot describe a song in words; in a work of art, I can.
At CNN, Ruff produced Emmy award winning medical documentaries and created the first-ever “World Aids Day” documentary. Ruff served as a Vice President for Porter Novelli, a worldwide advertising
agency, where she used her journalistic insight and extensive CNN experience to oversee digital media and broadcast projects.
She wrote and self-published “Defriending Facebook,” a memoir on the intense pressures and addictions she fell into with social media. Her narrative details how she came dangerously close to taking her own life and how she healed herself by going offline. Ruff says, "My book was written to share my experiences to help others silently suffering online."
She holds a communications degree with a pre-medical concentration from the University of Florida. She also has a Pastry Arts degree with Honors from L’ Academie De Cuisine. After graduating, she worked for White House chefs Anne Amernick and Frank Ruta.
When Ruff was eight years old, she began studying and practicing oil painting in traditional Renaissance style. In her forties, Ruff's work was rebirthed into acrylic painting in the form of vivid abstracts via synesthesia, using her pastry palette knives, her "dancing" fingers, and drip painting onto an array of canvas mediums including linens, plywood and masonite.
COMMUNITY MOVING EDUCATION
JUNE 1-JULY 2, 2021
STUDENTS AGES 10-19 ARE INVITED TO SIGN UP FOR ANY OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING SUMMER ARTS INSTITUTE WORKSHOPS.
FREE FOR ALL STUDENTS!!
REGISTRATION ENDS MAY 28TH AT 5PM
TO REGISTER EMAIL INFO@APALACHICOLAHCA.COM
VISIT HCA AT 86 WATER STREET, OR CALL 850-653-1458
- PAINTING: JUNE 1-JUNE 4 create paintings and be introduced to many aspects of visual arts
- DANCE: JUNE 1-JULY 2 introduction to dance incorporating ballet, west-African, modern, hip-hop and jazz dance techniques, choreography and performance
- MUSIC: JUNE 1-JULY 1 West African Drumming
- CULINARY ARTS: JUNE 7- JUNE 11 learn all aspects of cooking with a professional chef
- PHOTOGRAPHY: JUNE 15-18 learn the basics of photography with a photography professor from UF
- GARDENING: JUNE 21-23 from seeds to succulents, learn how to create your own garden from a Master Gardener
- BAKING from scratch learn how to bake and decorate cupcakes
- CHOICES: JUNE 25 *required* "Educated mind, healthy choices, the best you!"
- FIELDTRIP: (TBD)any students who participate in any workshops are welcome to go on a full-day fieldtrip
- CULMINATING ACTIVITIES AND PERFORMANCES JULY 2
* ALL STUDENTS ARE REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE 1 DAY CHOICES WORKSHOP AND ALL PAPERWORK MUST BE FULLED OUT BEFORE CLASSES BEGIN
VIRTUAL VIDEOS FROM HCA:
"Portraits in Passing" A Sumi-e Exhibit by Ann Koseliski 2020
APALACHICOLA BLM RALLY AND MURAL AT HCA 2020
S.O.L.A Exhibit "Support Our Local Artists"2020
Women's History Month "Celebration of Women in Art" 2020